Sunday, October 30, 2011

10 Minute Trick-or-treat Tote

I am by far a very novice sewer (not even sure if that is the correct term), but I wanted to share a super easy way I've discovered to make super cute tote bags that take very little time. In my crazy world, that's a huge thing! So... ladies and gentleman, please bear with me as I present my very first tutorial!!!

Materials needed:
  • Sewing machine
  • Scissors
  • Some fun fabric (I chose a glittery Halloween print I just happened to have in my stash)
  • thread (preferably some that accents your fabric)
  • ribbon that matches your chosen fabric

That's it! Are you ready?


Step one: Cut the fabric to your desired size. Make sure you make 2 cuts of fabric the same size!

Step two: Fold the fabric about 1/4 inch at the top and do a seam stitch.
Do the same to your other cut of fabric.
If you want exact precision you can iron the fabric before you stitch, but I'm lazy most of the time and just eyeball it.

Step 3: Once the top of your tote is hemmed to prevent fraying stack
the two pieces of fabric right sides in facing each other, like this:

Step four: Make sure you are looking at the wrong side of the fabric on both sides. Line up the sides and seam stitch around the sides and the bottom, leaving the top open.

Step five: You'll need a handle for your tote. Ribbon is one of my go-to's. Place the ribbon about two inches below the top of the bag, lined up with the side seam. Then do two vertical stitches and two horizontal stitches like you see above. Repeat on the other side. Make sure to go back and trim all the excess thread you have, and guess what?!!!!


Step six: You're done! Turn the bag right side out and you have a cute little tote.
An added option I do with most of my bags is to add about an inch and a half of Velcro
 in the middle at the top of each bag for a closure.

JC quickly informed me when he saw this that it was WAY to small for candy collection, but the fabric stash I had was already cut so I had no choice on the size. We can always carry more than one :)
I hope you're now inspired to try this on your own! Please comment and let me know if you do.

Janessa

No comments:

Post a Comment